Back in the day listening to the words overtime and double time were music to my ears. Working 50-60 hours meant more money but less time with the family and less time pursuing my dreams. I realized that life was too short to be spending most of my time at work. Do you know that the average person spends 90,000 hours at work over their lifetime? That’s 10 years spent at work. Imagine wasting all this time in a job you dislike.
I don’t know about you, but time is becoming very valuable in my life. My kids are getting bigger, and I’m getting older. Some people’s dream is to work from home, for others is to have their own business. If you could earn what you make now plus have more freedom would you do it? Imagine having 3 extra hours a day to spend with your friends and family. You don’t have to quit your day job to start. I will say one thing, though, you will work hard to get there. Here are 5 things you can do right now to pursue your dream job.
- Change your schedule. Don’t quit your job, just yet. Start making time for your dream job. Wake up earlier than normal and get started. Start working during lunch and after work. What are you doing on the weekends? Top 5 excuses why we don’t take action. I have no time. 2. I have no money. 3. I’m not good enough. 4. I’m too old. 5. I will wait for the perfect time. You can start with 30 minutes every day. Baby steps, one step at a time. Great quote “The impossible can always be broken down into possibilities.”
- Follow your passion. Doing something you love to do is the key to success. If you’re interested in music, Art, cooking, computers, writing, sports, etc. That’s what you should be working on. Dream jobs aren’t supposed to feel like work, they feel more like hobbies. When you do something you love the alarm clock will not wake you up, your heart will.
- Your circle is key. Surround yourself with people that will elevate you to the next level. Take inventory of your surroundings. Who is in your circle right now? Do they have goals? What are their intentions? Great quote “You are the average of the 5 people you hang out with” Start hanging out with people that are smarter than you, never know you may learn something.
- Stop worrying what others think. Sometimes we hesitate making positive changes in our lives because we worry what others are thinking If you’re focusing on what your neibors, family,friends and co-workers are thinking that is less energy you have chasing your dream. You have to go with your gut feeling regardless of what you hear from others. Don’t let the distractions keep you from achieving your goal.
- Get yourself a mentor. Search for that person who is doing your dream job right now. Ask that person for advice. If your mentor has books, buy them. If that person doesn’t want to help, you find another one. You need to be relentless in pursuing your dream. Having a mentor is a map to success. If your mentor did it, you could do it. Don’t get discourage that easy. Quitting is not an option.
No matter how old you are anything is possible. Remember Colonel Sanders from KFC started at 65 years old. Age is just a number. This will not be easy; if it was easy everyone would do it. If you have a hobby right now, make it your dream job. GO FOR IT! What’s stopping you?